Saturday, July 21, 2012

On DVD - Friends With Kids

I am going to start reviewing some movies that are at the video store on DVD.  I wasn't going to do this at first, but now I think I will. 

Movie: Friends With Kids
Major Actors: Adam Scott, Maya Rudolph, Kristen Whig, Jennifer Westfeldt, Jon Hamm, Chris O'Dowd, Megan Fox, Edward Burns
Rating: R
Best Audience: This is a good date movie, especially for married couples, maybe not for dating couples.

Review:

This movie says a lot about what having kids does to a couple's relationship.  The lead two characters want to avoid the relationship pitfalls that come with having children, so they decide to have a child together while trying to keep their relationship platonic.  This is complete with awkward and uncomfortable moments that actually made me hide my eyes a few times because it was so embarrassing. 

The main couple is played by Adam Scott and Jennifer Westfeldt.  Their chemistry is great in this movie, but I had  HUGE PROBLEM with Jennifer Westfeldt's speech.  Half of the time, you couldn't understand anything she was saying because she mumbled!  I thought actors were supposed to be articulate!  Kristen Whig played it straight in this movie, playing wife to Jon Hamm's character, who was a total jerk to her.  It was interesting to see her play such a dramatic role, but I am a huge fan of Kristen Whig and think she can do anything.  Chris O'Dowd (who played the cop in Bridesmaids) is also in this movie, and he was sort of the "comic relief," with spot on comedic delivery. 

I liked the movie.  Like I said, it is good for married couples, but if you are just dating, it is probably too serious and may make your partner uncomfortable.  The thing that I didn't like was that the big "movie moment" at the end was kind of ruined by obscene language.  I don't mind obscene language in movies, but not in the big epic ending!  I just feel like that kind of language doesn't have a place in that moment and kind of ruined the sweet, romantic mood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment