Monday, July 30, 2012

The Hobbit

This is not a review.  This is a rant! 

I was just informed they are making the movie "The Hobbit" into a trilogy.  It was set to be two movies, this year's "The Hobbit:  An Unexpected Journey" and the next one would be "The Hobbit:  There and Back Again." 

Now, I was surprised they were putting it into two movies.  Peter Jackson pulled off making each Lord of the Rings book into one movie and all three of those were longer and more dense than "The Hobbit."  As an avid LOTR fan, I felt it was unnecessary, but nice, to have "The Hobbit" in two movies.  However, it is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS to put them into three.

I love what Jen Chaney from the Washington Post said about this.  She said, "My only concern is that Jackson is skipping over the swiftly edited version of 'The Hobbit' and going right for the extended edition, which may mean he’s getting bogged down into much detail."  I can pretty much guarantee you she is right about that.  I loved the extended editions of LOTR as an avid, obsessed fan surrounded by other avid obsessed fans.  But for a more diverse audience of both fans and casual movie-goers, you have to make sure you don't over-do it!  That is exactly what he is doing!  He is making this into three movies to satisfy the hardcore fans and now casual movie-goers are going to have to deal with all that detail. 

If "Return of the King" can be one movie, "The Hobbit" can be one movie.  He could have done an awesome extended edition to be released next year like he did with all the other ones. 

I am complaining a lot right now for the sake of practicality and quality of the films, but as I've said, I'm a HUGE fan and I'm probably gonna be super-excited to see all three films. 

No comments:

Post a Comment